Thursday, April 2, 2015

Who's the new guy?

We want you to get to know Matt Uva.  He’s the new Tasting Room Manager and Brand Ambassador at Quantum Leap.   With a vast knowledge of wine and last name that means “grape” in Italian, we think he’s a perfect fit.  Well, almost perfect.  (We’re almost all dog people around the winery, Matt.)

With an open and easy approach to wine, Matt can talk you through a tasting or help you find the perfect wine to go with any event, party, gift, or meal.  The Tasting Room is open from 2-7pm Thursdays and Fridays and 12-6pm on Saturdays—swing by and meet him.



Where are you from and how did you end up in Orlando?

I’m from New England (surprising, given my appearance). Ended up in Orlando the way most men do: chasing a girl.


What’s your background?

I’ve been in the wine and spirits industry for about 15 years. I’ve held just about every job in the wine business, from driving the truck to designing award-winning wine lists to running a retail chain and everything in between.


Have you always had an interest in wine?  How did your interest in wine come about?

When I graduated high school, I was gifted a bottle of 1982 Cheval Blanc. I had no idea what it was; I just thought it meant I was now mature enough to drink. A friend and I used a Swiss Army knife to pull the cork and drank it directly from the bottle on a swing set behind a grammar school. It wasn’t until years later that I realized what I had done (that bottle would be about $8,000 today) and decided to learn more about wine as my penance. For obvious reasons, it’s a fun subject to learn about.


What was your most memorable wine moment?

As a “wine guy” you get the opportunity to have so many of these moments.  It’s impossible to focus on just one. Buy me a drink and I’ll give you a different tale each time. I’ve been very lucky over the years.


Tell me what you like most about wine/Quantum Leap. (Why did you want to join the team at QL?)

The idea of a winery that emphasizes sustainability and works to reduce the carbon footprint of the vineyard-to-table process really sings to me. I don’t think most Americans realize how much energy is wasted in the wine and spirits industry. Doing all of this in Florida and still using Vitis Vinifera grapes is an amazing undertaking. The Quantum Leap concept is really the winery of the future and it’s fascinating to get to play a part in that.


What’s your favorite current QL wine and why?

What’ve ya got open? It’s hard to pick a favorite, but I’ve been hitting the Panther’s Tale quite a bit lately. It’s like a funkier, drier Pinot Noir – big cherry fruit, some spice notes, and an overall earthiness that I just really dig.


What’s your favorite wine of all time?

That’s an impossible question with no real answer, but the grape that will get me every time is Rötgipfler. It’s this weird little Austrian white that grows on about 9 acres. It produces the most complex wines I’ve ever tasted. The fact that it’s next to impossible to find makes it even better when I do come across it. I used to rep for a distributor back North that had one in their portfolio and whenever someone said, “I don’t drink white”, I’d pull out a bottle of Rötgipfler and change their lives forever.


What do you drink when not enjoying wine?

I’m a huge beer nerd, but living in Orlando it’s hard not to become a fan of cocktails. Some of the best bartenders in the business are working here, and what they’re doing is changing the industry. When I talk to friends around the country and mention local bartenders, they gush as if I’ve been hanging out with a major celebrity.


What hobbies or interests do you have beside wine?

Mountain climbing, whitewater kayaking, and downhill mountain biking – good thing I moved to Florida! Now that I’m a “flatlander” I’ve turned to raising butterflies, working my urban garden, and antiquing. Macho, I know.


Who’s your personal hero?

John Muir. Outdoorsman, poet, historical badass, and a killer beard.

This or that

Red or white?
Rosé


Old World or New World?
New World


Screw caps or corks?
Corks


Cats or dogs?
Cats (I’ve got 6!)

No comments:

Post a Comment